Thursday, August 13, 2015

Buhari gives new military chiefs three months to defeat Boko Haram



Nigeria's President Muhammadu Buhari has given his new military chiefs a three-month deadline to defeat the Islamist militant Boko Haram group.

He gave the order at a swearing-in ceremony for the new service commanders he appointed last month. President Buhari - a former army general - reiterated that the new military chiefs would be expected to work closely with neighbours Chad, Cameroon and Niger in fighting Boko Haram.

He said he would give troops the necessary resources to achieve the "feat".


But the president urged the armed forces to abide by the law when fighting the militants.

"In particular you must protect innocent civilians and respect the rights of combatants," he said.

The US has refused to sell arms to Nigeria, citing human rights abuses.

Two of the commanders Mr Buhari has appointed - Maj Gen Tukur Yusuf Buratai, and the National Security Adviser, Maj Gen Babagana Monguno - are from north-eastern Borno state, which is at the heart of the conflict.

Analysts say the president hopes this will enable them to have a good handle on what is needed to end the violence.

BBC

No comments:

Post a Comment